Tuesday 15 November 2016

Christmas Joy

Anna hummed as she pulled out a batch of cookies from the oven. The smell of warm chocolate chip cookies filled the air, drawing Anna’s husband, Adam, into the kitchen.

“I’m sorry, but you can only have one,” Anna informed him. “The Sunday school children are coming carol singing in a while. Plus, we’re having lentil roast for dinner. You don’t want to spoil your appetite, do you?”

“Sneaky woman,” he laughed. Anna smiled back at him, her eyes sparkling, “I love you too. Now, would you please help me put the cookies into jars? I’d like to clean up the kitchen and have a quick shower before the carolers arrive.”

Anna was happy with how her day had been. She had finally found the perfect present for her nephew, with Adam’s help, and had managed to get a good amount of Christmas baking done as well.

The sound of Silent Night drew her into the family room. She marveled at the cozy room bathed in light from the twinkling Christmas tree. Adam was lighting pine scented candles. He turned as she entered.

“My heart feels as though it may burst any moment, Adam” Anna whispered. He reached for her hand and drew her towards the Christmas tree they had decorated together, “I love you, Anna. I am so lucky to have you.”

She gasped when he slid the sparkling emerald ring onto her finger, “Is this my Christmas present?” Adam laughed, “Must I have an occasion to tell you how special you are to me?”

When she looked back at him wonderingly, he explained, “You brighten my life. I want you to have this ring to remember that, when I’m not around to say the words.” Anna snuggled into his arms, “I love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment